Exciting news! I now have a Canadian supplier of LIVE Kombucha Scoby’s! This is really great news as the dehydrated scobys were not quite living up to my standards, although they were great for shipping long distances. I am really happy to be able to provide live Kombucha Scoby’s across Canada!
For those that may not know about this wonderful raw beverage, here are some of the details and benefits:
- Kombucha is rich in enzymes and probiotic elements that are not destroyed through pasteurization.
- Kombucha is a delicious, sparkling and energizing beverage that is made by fermenting tea and sugar, all with the help of microorganisms.
- Known as the Elixer of Life in China, this miracle tonic became popular not only in Russia, but also in Japan, where it was traditionally prepared with “Kombu” seaweed. The Japanese name Kombucha translates as “Kombu tea”.
- Modern society is now rediscovering this surprising “Raw Pop-Drink”, like an echo of ancient wisdom carrying a message of life.
- The medicinal properties of kombucha tea have been studied for more than 100 years, conventional medicine has only just started becoming interested in it… with some convincing results.
- Since the very beginning, kombucha has been passed on from family to family. It is easy to grow at home because it continuously multiplies and offers abundance to those who know how to care for it.
Here’s some of the scientific mumbo-jumbo for the more geeky types:
- Kombucha is a microbial culture of various bacteria and yeast species. Fermentation of the culture in sweetened tea produces numerous organic acids (e.g. ascetic acid, gluconic acid, malic acid), enzymes, amino acids and polyphenols (e.g. catechins) that improve overall health.
- Discovered over 2,000 years ago, Kombucha has been traditionally used for its cleansing and balancing qualities. First recorded uses in Asia were by rulers and warriors in preparation for battle.
And last but not least, current research on the biochemical composition of Kombucha has shown the following health benefits:
• Acts as an antioxidant
• Strengthens the immune system
• Balances intestinal flora
• Combats stress
• Increases energy
• Stimulates digestion
**The preceding statements have not been confirmed by Health Canada, and it is best to consult your doctor or therapist when weighing your options for treatment.
Starting on Thursday, August 9th, I will have live Kombucha Scoby’s available for sale at the Kingston Public Market. For shipping to other Canadian locations, please call 613.985.6194 or email TrishaMorris@live.com for details. I do not ship outside of Canada at this time.
**For anyone who has previously purchased a dehydrated scoby and were not 100% satisfied, you may purchase a live scoby for half price until September 1st.
Some of the information above was found at the following sites: